Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Making Chain Guard Design for dummy

Chain guard design

A shout out to my peeps at Bike Haus for lending me parts for the mock up. They have been what I call "drunk daredevil" supportive. It’s the kind of support you only find when a group of guys sit around drinking too much and then somebody brags about being able to jump over a van with their skateboard after being towed by an equally drunk friend in a late model chevy pickup.

Sober, somebody steps up and tells you that you are going to break your neck and they try and talk you out of it. After a few glasses of pale ale however, they are fighting for the steering wheel. It wouldn’t be the first failed project and I rarely abandon projects, they just sit waiting for a second wind in some stage of completion.

Mamma didn’t raise no quitter,

I would consider buying the fork if it could be resealed; it has a slight leak on the compression adjustment side. The "FOX SHOCK" stickers would peel off nicely leaving a nice anodized surface to paint. As for paint, I am now torn between BMW crimson red and Electric red, also a BMW color. Could go either way. 50/50, even money, no front runner, neck and neck.

I was sketching some form and design ideas yesterday and came across a nice way to tie the chain guard into the fender and to solve the problem of it floating as well. Since the front derailer will be removed, a down tube clamp with a ball joint should do the trick nicely for a rotating mount for the chain guard. Then, and this is the tricky part, ( I love it when a plan comes together) the tail will overlap the outside of the fender skirt, coming to a point well beyond the cassette. It’s kind of hard to explain, here is a sketch. As you can see, the chain guard then becomes the first of four to five white painted scallops on the rear skirt. I think I will cut a few louvers into the front portion of the skirt just for the hell of it. On the other hand…not just for the hell of it, for cooling purposes. That rear wheel is going to be turning at some crazy RPM’s with me turning a pedal in anger at the Peddler...ahem "The Pounder" (see prior post). I put the project estimate at somewhere around 40-50 hours not including design and paint. So we have our work cut out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment